A two-story high monument castle to be built at Portwood Pier Plaza; Kids-n-Kastles at Dunes Park
Imperial Beach’s Portwood Pier Plaza will be the site of the largest sandcastle built on local sand from Aug. 13-22, 2021. Multi-award-winning professional sand carvers I.B. Posse will turn a mountain of 6 tons of sand into a two-story tall and 30-40 ft. wide artistic sculpture called Sandcastle City. Once finished the sculpture will be lit at night. Open and free to the public.
Here is our shot at an estimated timeframe.
· Friday Aug. 13 – Giant sandcastle forms (large boxes) will be positioned to create sculpture- Pier Plaza – 10 a.m. to dusk
· Saturday, Aug. 14 – Kids-n-Kastles – sand building activity at Dunes Park – 10 a.m. to Noon
· Saturday, Aug. 14 – monument castle building – 10 a.m. to dusk
· Sunday through Tuesday, Aug. 15 - 17 – Giant sandcastle comes to life – 10 am to dusk daily
· Wednesday, Aug 18 – Estimated completion of giant sandcastle with morning ceremonies with County of San Diego and Imperial Beach officials at 10 a.m.
· Thursday through Sunday, Aug. 19 - 22 – Best viewing days of finished castle.
This project is funded by the County of San Diego Community Enhancement Grant Program.
For more information, visit http://sunandseafestival.com/.